You might be familiar with Pork with Basil, which is a very popular dish among Thais. There's another basil dish that Thais also love very much. It's cooked with a different type of basil, and it has a wider range of vegetables. Also, unlike Pork with Basil, a red curry paste is added.
1 lb. ground pork (you can use chicken, turkey, seafood,tofu)
1-2 cups fresh Thai basil
1 medium can bamboo shoots
1/2 red bellpepper
4-6 cloves fresh garlic (finely chopped)
1-2 Tbsp. red curry paste
1/2 yellow onion
6-8 mushrooms (sliced)
2-5 Thai chilies
3 Tbsp. oyster sauce (depends on the flavor you like)
fish sauce (to taste)
seasoning sauce (brand Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1. Smash chilies with a stone mortar & pestle if you have one, You can also use the side of knife to do the smashing. When finished with the chilies, go ahead and smash the garlic. Leave these to the side for now.
2. Pick the leaves and flowers off the Basil and discard the stems. Rinse the leaves and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan (or wok) until it's very hot. Toss in the chilies & garlic. Let the garlic get brown.
4. When the garlic is ready, add the red curry paste. Let it saute (perhaps two minutes) until you can really smell the fragrance.
5. Add the ground pork. Use your spatula to mixed it around, so that it cooks evenly. Cook until it's no longer red.
6. Add all vegetables, except basil. Let this cook a bit. Stir well.
7. Add sugar, soy sauce & fish sauce. Stir and let absorb.
8. When dry, add water and the basil leaves. Stir until basil is wilted, and serve on rice.
This dish is also excellent without the chilies (for those who don't like spicy foods). Also, in Thailand, it's common for this dish to be served with a fried egg on top. As you're cooking this dish, perhaps you can fry an egg on the side (slightly runny is best).